The month of May is flying by, and June will be upon us in the blink of an eye. This is a time of year with so many reasons to celebrate and enjoy time with loved ones: Mother’s Day is just a week away, the first long weekend of summer is coming up at the end of the month, and of course, it’s time to celebrate high school and college graduates!
The latter always feels a bit bittersweet, doesn’t it? There is excitement and pride in sending babies off to spread their wings, and sadness in watching them leave the nest. Truth be told, we haven’t attended a graduation—including our own—where we didn’t shed tears. (The same can be said of every wedding, baptism, first communion, first birthday party–you get the idea.)
The only thing more reliable than our tears is the difficulty in identifying the perfect gift for the new grad. Do you choose something practical? Something poignant? What if someone else gives the same gift?
Not to worry! We at Paige Tate have opinions on the subject of graduation gifts (and so much more!) and we’re happy to share our list of sure-to-delight grad gifts:
- Our publisher received an old-fashioned alarm clock from a dear family friend when she graduated from college. The clock has lived on every desk at every job she has had since graduating. She recalls that the thoughtful card that accompanied the gift noted the symbolism: the passage of time, but also, all of early mornings to look forward to in the working world! Anthropologie offers this cute, classic alarm clock in several colors.
- Sure, millennials have their smartphones for texting, tweeting, and keeping time. Even the most tech-reliant new grad will love this gorgeous wood watch from WEWOOD to help get to class or work on time!
- On the subject of work: Many new grads are jumping into the working world for the first time. New jobs are exciting—and can be overwhelming! Putting your best foot forward is important from the interview to the first day of work and beyond. The sleek folios from Austin-based May Designs help your favorite grad to stay organized—and stylish! Pro tip: These folios come in a wide variety of colors and patterns, and can even be monogrammed!
- Do you remember your first home away from home—the first place you lived when you left the place where you grew up? We can remember that huge rush of excitement in claiming our own place in the world! Whether the grad in your life is moving into their first dorm room or first apartment, little touches can help an unfamiliar place feel like home. These darling photo frames by Junebug’s Creative Concepts (on Etsy) can hold the picture of a loved one from home. We love the message and sophisticated style of this pillow cover from our very own Sarah at Chalkfulloflove, author of Hand Lettering 101: An Introduction to the Art of Creative Lettering (which, by the way, is another amaaaaazing gift idea!).
- And speaking of Paige Tate artists, we also adore this artwork by the talented Shannon Roberts, owner of The White Lime. The message is perfect for a young grad making her way in the world!
- Do you know a grad who isn’t settling down just yet—a free spirit who is off to travel the globe? Help her to record the memories of a lifetime with this fun, durable travel journal from Rifle Paper Co. This gorgeous, timeless Kate Spade travel wallet will keep passports, currency, and other travel necessities organized and on-hand.
- This last gift idea is completely obvious, but utterly necessary. Whether your favorite grad is looking ahead to all-night study sessions or early-morning conference calls, coffee will see them through it all. Once again, the incomparable Chalkfulloflove offers on-message options to enjoy coffee in the dorm, at home, or on the go. This camper mug and this travel mug are two of our favorites!
Hug your grad tight and know that they may leave home—but they stay in your heart!